A Slacker Makes a Kilt

I made kilt! Sort of.

20130221-181711.jpg

It looks like a kilt, sadly, it’s not really all that authentic. Kilts don’t have buttons. Anywhere. At all. And apparently there’s some scientific way of properly measuring them, but I didn’t measure.

Like I said. Slacker

This isn’t a tutorial, as I have no idea what I’m doing. It was super fun, though, and I’ve got four more to make. I figure by the time I’m done with those four, I should know how to make a real one and may even swing for some authentic Tartan. As is stands, I spent less than half the cost of one Pre-made kilt on material for all five of us, including the pin.

20130221-182217.jpg

I love Hobby Lobby.

20130221-182951.jpg

20130221-183004.jpg

20130221-183014.jpg

I used pinking shears. I hate pinking shears. I didn’t want to sew edges if I didn’t have to, so…pinking shears.

20130221-183328.jpg

^^ The selvedge had a nifty red edge. Yay! No hemming!

20130221-183426.jpg

20130221-183436.jpg

20130221-183451.jpg

20130221-183501.jpg

20130221-183509.jpg

…and then I ironed. And ironed. And ironed. I almost had to turn in my slacker card.

20130221-183603.jpg

20130221-183610.jpg

20130221-183616.jpg

I didn’t want these gaps, so I top stitched the pleats.

20130221-183659.jpg

20130221-183705.jpg

I had read on line somewhere that the underside of the pleats were supposed to be trimmed to avoid bulk.

20130221-183803.jpg

…fricking pinking shears again.

20130221-183835.jpg

20130221-183853.jpg

The waistband…

20130221-183917.jpg

20130221-183942.jpg

Kilts are supposed to have buckles. I didn’t know this until I’d already used buttons. Apparently, it’s a good idea to research historical garments.

Slacker don’t play dat.

The one thing I did know, is that kilts are supposed to have pins. The pins don’t hold the kilt together, but provide weight on the front apron to prevent, um…Marilyn Monroe moments. I made 5 pins for my clan at The Twisted Jeweler

We’ll be running this here’s the link

20130221-184428.jpg

20130221-184441.jpg

(I never measured anything, but I didmake The Boy model for me. I made sure the apron [front panel] went from his hipbone to hipbone, and then again to make sure the pleats went from hip to hip across the back. My measuring tape is still dusty. And angry. …it may try to strangle me in my sleep…)

The rest of the kilts will have buckles instead of buttons, but I’m super happy with how this one turned out. It took one afternoon of puttering and 2 pots of coffee. Awesome stuff!

Now excuse me, I need to slack some more. Cheers!

20130221-184701.jpg

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “A Slacker Makes a Kilt

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s